Experienced Indiana Divorce Lawyers: Can I Change My Name at the Time of Divorce in Indiana?

Yes, and that should be part of the decree if that is desired. If a name change is not part of the divorce decree and you want to change your name later, you have to file a separate legal proceeding, publish a notification of the request in the local paper, and have a hearing on the request.  This proceeding is much more time consuming and expensive than simply adding one paragraph to the final divorce decree. In a few cases, the parties, by agreement, agree to amend the divorce decree to add a name change, but normally if it is not in the original divorce decree, it cannot be added later.

If you are contemplating a divorce, we invite you to call our office to schedule a consultation with an experienced Indiana divorce attorney to learn more about your rights and options. 

Pay Bill Pay Retainer